You know that properly-working wheels are essential for a properly-running car, but you might not know that wheels are made up of much more than just the hub and rim. One example of a lesser-known wheel component is a wheel bearing in Madison, TN.
Wheel bearings are responsible for ensuring that the hub, tire and assemblies work together while your car is in motion. Any problems with the bearings can cause a range of issues for both your wheels and your vehicle as a whole. This post will teach you a few of the signs that a wheel bearing is experiencing some problems:
- Grinding noise: The top sign that something’s amiss with your wheel bearings is a strange noise while driving. A grinding or grating sound could be the result of several different problems, but if you hear it while accelerating, it’s most likely the wheel bearing. We recommend bringing your car to a mechanic for a full examination to determine the root of the problem.
- Abnormal tire wear: Tires must be rotated regularly to prevent uneven wear and potential blowouts. However, if you notice that one tire is significantly more worn than the others, there’s probably an issue with a wheel bearing. Along with replacing that tire, have a technician replace that bad bearing.
- Steering wheel vibration: Strange vibrations coming from the steering wheel often stem from problems with tire balance, particularly at high speeds. That’s not always the case, though—a bad wheel bearing in Madison, TN may cause vibrations at slow speeds and worsen as the car picks up speed.
- Loose steering: Your steering may also seem a bit looser if there’s an issue with your wheel bearings. Drivers with loose steering will notice that their car is less responsive or less precise when turning the steering wheel.
Replace worn bearings right away
Just like with any vehicle damage, it’s important to address problems with wheel bearings right away. These are the reasons to replace an old wheel bearing in Madison, TN as soon as you can:
- Stay safe while driving: Any wheel bearing problems should be fixed to ensure the safety of you and your passengers. Bad wheel bearings make driving less safe, especially if they’re causing issues with the steering wheel.
- Prevent further damage: As we’ve seen above, wheel bearing issues often snowball and cause problems with other aspects of the vehicle. From prematurely wearing out tires to damaging other components of the wheel, a bad bearing is bad news. Replacing bad wheel bearings sooner rather than later saves you from a whole lot of trouble.
- Save money: By replacing bad bearings as soon as you notice there’s an issue, you’ll potentially save yourself from a lot of other car repairs, and in doing so, you’ll also save a boatload of money. Replacing old wheel bearings isn’t free, but it’s a lot less expensive than dealing with massive car repairs.
Come in and see the professionals at Madison Muffler & Auto Repair if you’re experiencing any problems with a wheel bearing in Madison, TN. From wheels to engines, we provide a wide range of repair services for cars, trucks and SUVs.