Many auto mechanics recommend air filter replacement when cars come in for an oil change or other service. Unfortunately, customers often interpret this as upselling, rather than needed maintenance, and skip this essential service. A clean air filter offers benefits to your engine that improve performance and efficiency. Here are five reasons to stay on schedule with your auto air filter replacement in Madison, TN:
- Improved performance: Car engines require 10,000 gallons of clean air for every gallon of fuel consumed to run. The air filter ensures a clean flow of air by blocking debris. If this is interrupted because your air filter is worn or dirty, your engine will run slowly or perhaps stop running entirely. As no one wants to be broken down in a parking lot or on the side of the road, this simple step to improved performance is well worth the small bit of time and expense.
- Better fuel economy: Engines that do not receive their clean airflow must work harder. That means burning more fuel and going through that tank of gas more quickly than you would like. Many customers report that fuel lasts longer once they replace an air filter or have it cleaned (some models have permanent air filters that require cleaning rather than replacement). Spending money on an air filter means saving money on fuel in the long run.
- Protects your engine: We don’t exactly drive through sterile conditions. Bugs, leaves, dirt, flying gravel, salt, mud and water all come flying at our vehicles as we drive down the highway. If this debris was allowed to accumulate in your engine, you would likely be seeing your mechanic several times a year to deal with serious repair issues. However, when you have a new and effective air filter, none of this debris ends up in your engine, which helps keep it running better.
- Increased vehicle life: The better you protect your engine, the longer your vehicle will last. Many people end up trading cars in before their loans are paid off because they cannot afford the repair issues that arise with lack of maintenance. However, the simple act of keeping gunk and debris out of your engine will help it last a while so you don’t have to replace your car before you are financially ready to do so. Suddenly, paying extra at an oil change seems very much worth it!
- Lower emissions: Cars run cleaner and better than they did 40 years ago. Technology plays a big part in this evolution, along with higher expectations regarding environmental quality. Air filters also play a role in lower emissions. Good airflow allows the emissions system to do its job better so your car does not become a soot-spewing pollution machine. This all changes when a dirty or clogged air filter is rendered ineffective.
Madison Muffler & Auto Repair recommends air filter replacement in Madison, TN as a vital part of maintaining your vehicle. Contact us today to schedule an auto service appointment and help your car run at peak performance.