Cars can be as mysterious as the human body—you might start noticing symptoms of car trouble, but when you Google them, you end up with a bunch of conflicting information. Is it the starter? The engine? The battery? The electrical system? Sometimes, when you’re not an expert, the best thing you can do is take your vehicle to a mechanic so they can properly diagnose the problem.
On the other hand, many car issues start and end with a bad battery, so it’s worth your time to know the signs of a failing car battery and how to replace it. For all of your car issues and solutions, including car battery replacement in Madison, TN, stop by or call Madison Muffler & Auto Repair.
Here are some signs of car battery problems to watch out for:
- Your battery is old: No battery lasts forever. If yours is more than a couple years old, it might be nearing the end of its lifespan, especially if you live in an area with extreme temperatures.
- Your car is slow to start, or clicks: Get your battery tested if your engine isn’t springing to life as it once did. This is an almost certain sign that your battery is failing. However, if you’re only hearing clicks, it might be an issue with the starter.
- The lights are on, but the car won’t go: Sometimes dying batteries have enough juice to power your electrical system, but not enough to turn the engine over. Try turning the car on several times, and if that fails, a jump start might be in order. Even if you get the car to start running, it’s a good idea to get the battery tested as soon as possible to avoid a repeat performance.
- You’ve had to frequently jump start your car: Car batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time. If you’ve had to jump start your car more often than usual lately, it’s likely because the battery is at the end of its life. If your battery is new, however, the battery may be defective, or your car could have an electrical component that’s draining the power.
- There’s corrosion or film on the battery: When was the last time you popped your hood and gave your battery a long hard look? If you spot lots of fluffy blue corrosion or a clear film across the battery, it can affect your battery’s performance. If you spot the film, be aware that your battery may be leaking battery acid, so take special care in getting it cleaned or replaced.
Car battery replacement in Madison, TN
Need your car’s battery tested or replaced? Stop by Madison Muffler & Auto Repair. Our mechanics will check your car battery for free, and if it needs to be replaced, we offer this and all of our other services at some of the most competitive prices around. We’d love to take care of your car so you can save your time and energy!