While hybrid and electric cars have a leg up when it comes to eco-friendliness, you can still make your regular gas-powered car as energy efficient as possible by taking some steps related to car preventative care in Madison, TN that also increase fuel efficiency. Here are just a few examples of some proven ways you can make your vehicle more environmentally friendly:
- Get rid of the dead weight: Do you really need to be carrying around everything you have in your car? Get rid of some excess weight and you’ll see an increase in fuel economy. If you’ve got extra stuff in your trunk that you don’t need every time you drive, keep it out of your vehicle and save yourself a little bit of fuel.
- Fill up your tires: Underinflated tires do not roll as efficiently as ones that are properly inflated, which means the engine must work harder to get them moving properly, resulting in more fuel being burned. Therefore, maintaining proper tire pressure is one of the simplest and most effective things you can do to increase fuel efficiency.
- Avoid topping off while fueling: There are some people who were brought up on the practice of giving a little extra pump after the automatic fueling stops to top off their gas tank. However, doing so increases the risk of some harmful vapors emanating from your tank, and also forces liquid fuel into the canister, which reduces its effectiveness and your overall fuel efficiency.
- Check your emissions: Keeping a clean emissions system minimizes the exhaust fumes that come out from your tailpipe. This should be one practice you build in to your regular tune-ups.
- Avoid using air conditioning: This is generally easier said than done in the middle of a humid Tennessee summer, but the more you’re able to avoid using your car’s air conditioning, the better it is for the planet. The engine will have to work harder when you’ve got the AC turned up to full blast, which results in more fuel consumption. If you do use the air conditioning, you should at least make sure you have refrigerant and system pressure set to the proper levels.
- Get your vehicle checked out regularly: There are a number of reasons why it’s important to have a professional technician give your vehicle a tune-up on a regular basis. Not only will it help your vehicle run more efficiently and in a more eco-friendly manner, but it will also help you uncover potential maintenance issues with your car before they become much larger and more expensive problems that necessitate emergency repairs.
- Adjust your driving habits: The way you drive can make a big difference in how efficient your vehicle is. Aggressive driving and rapid acceleration can result in you burning more fuel than needed. You should also choose routes that provide the greatest efficiency possible.
For more tips on car preventative care in Madison, TN, reach out to the team at Madison Muffler & Auto Repair today. We look forward to helping you get the most out of your vehicle!