Nobody wants to replace their car’s brakes unless they truly have to. It’s expensive, time-consuming and just a hassle. While auto manufacturers often say brakes only last for 30,000 miles, you can extend their life by taking some simple steps.
If your car does need the brakes replaced, engine repair, transmission repair or anything else, there’s one place you should go for auto repair in Madison, TN. Madison Muffler & Auto Repair has been operating in the community for over a decade. Here are our tips for extending the life of your car’s brakes:
- Don’t speed: Most of us claim we don’t speed, but we’re not truly paying attention all the time. It’s not just for your own safety and to avoid getting a ticket that you shouldn’t speed—though those are good reasons, too! It can also actually help your brakes last longer. Think about it—when you’re going too fast, you’re more likely to be forced to hit the brakes hard. This could happen, for example, if a deer jumps into the road or there’s a traffic jam ahead. Avoid hard braking by reducing your speed.
- Check your tire pressure: This might seem counterintuitive, but it really works. Check your tire pressure regularly and ensure that it’s at the right level. When the tires are doing their job, this puts less stress on the brake rotors and brake pads. It’s a simple way to make sure your brakes aren’t working harder than they need to.
- Keep the loads light: Whenever possible, don’t take more heavy stuff in your car than you have to. Here again, the added weight will put more stress on the brakes. Lighten the load and extend the lifetime of your brakes.
- Try coasting more frequently: When you’re going down a gradual hill, you might hit the brakes right away. Instead, let gravity take you to an even speed. This will allow you to use your brakes less, which leads to less wear and tear.
- Bring your car in for servicing: Getting a tune-up at a shop specializing in auto repair in Madison, TN is another smart way to keep your brakes going. Your mechanic can provide a thorough check to see if there are any minor problems that can be stopped before they become major ones. You’ll spend a little money to save more in the long run.
Are you looking for local brake experts in Madison, TN? Madison Muffler & Auto Repair offers nothing but the best in full-service auto repair. Our ASE certified experts can do it all, from engine and transmission repair and replacement to brake fluid and oil changes, exhaust service, catalytic converters, computer diagnostics, exhaust work, muffler replacement and repair and much more.
Madison Muffler & Auto Repair’s mechanics repair and upgrade vehicles every day. We’ve seen it all, and can help you with all your automotive needs. We use the highest-quality parts and products, while also making sure that you’re getting the most competitive prices in town. Call us today to schedule an appointment!