Synthetic oil often costs more, and some types may not always be readily available. The difference between synthetic and standard oil types is a common inquiry at our auto repair shop in Madison, TN. You almost always want to choose a synthetic for performance vehicles and older cars, but even new vehicles can benefit from these products. Here are five reasons to choose a synthetic oil at your next oil change:
- Better startup: When you start your engine, oil travels to essential areas to lubricate parts and ensure smooth running. Conventional oils do not have the same viscosity as synthetic types, so it takes them longer to make it to these areas in your engine. You may drive to work and the conventional oil may still not get to all your engine parts, leading to wear and tear, while a synthetic oil spreads better and your engine receives better care every time you start it.
- Better protection: Synthetic oil stands up to heat and cold better. It will work well on the hottest summer days and those icy winter nights. Many people who live in colder climates prefer the advantages offered by synthetic oil, since constant cold can be rough on engines, especially high-mileage ones. While you can likely get away with conventional oil for years when you buy a new car, it is better to enjoy greater protection with a synthetic product once your car hits 75,000 miles.
- Longer life: You may pay more for synthetic oil, but you will not have to change it as often. Conventional oil must be changed out every 3,500 to 5,000 miles because it simply does not last long. Synthetic oil can last up to 7,500 miles, although if you have an older engine or experience oil leaks, you may wish to stick to a 5,000-mile schedule, just to be safe.
- Efficiency and reliability while hauling: If you tow frequently, you need a synthetic oil. Even on vehicles designed for horse trailers and boats, towing is a high-demand function that will stress even the best-made engines. Choosing an oil made for work vehicles and those facing high demands will make all the difference in your fuel efficiency and engine life when you tow frequently. Roadside assistance is often expensive for trailers, and if you are hauling live animals, that rescue operation is more complicated. The money you spend on a synthetic oil will save you money and trouble in other areas.
- High mileage: Vehicles that reach the six-figure stage in mileage need extra care. Conventional oil is better than skipping an oil change, but it will not offer the protection of a synthetic, and since there is already wear and tear on your old engine, the conventional oil may make that worse. Use a synthetic oil for high-mileage vehicles and you will preserve your engine and reduce wear and tear.
Madison Muffler & Auto Repair is a trusted auto repair shop in Madison, TN. We offer general auto repair, including oil changes. Call us today to schedule an appointment.