Does your car sound like a freshly poured bowl of Rice Krispies? Do you wonder what all that popping and squealing under the hood is all about? If you’re concerned about the noises your car makes in the winter, you’re not alone. As your local auto mechanic in Madison, TN, Madison Muffler & Auto Repair is here to help. Our goal is to help you understand your vehicle, its maintenance and the proper steps to take to keep it running smoothly all season. Use the following noise guide to keep your vehicle in top shape this winter.
- Squeals: Do you hear a squealing sound coming from under your car’s hood? This is often caused by belts. You may have an old belt that needs to be replaced or an issue requiring belt adjustment. Take your vehicle to your auto mechanic in Madison, TN to have it checked out as soon as possible.
- Squeaks: This noise is typically caused by worn bushings. Bushings are the rubber fittings found throughout your car that keep the metal parts quiet. When the bushings wear out, you start to hear squeaks. The bushings in your brake system and suspension system often wear out first. Since worn bushings can cause leaks, be sure to get them replaced as soon as you start to hear squeaking noises.
- Rattles: At times, rattling can indicate bad motor mounts or ball joints. If accompanied by squeaks, they can also be caused by brake pads. Again, if your car experiences rattles, it’s important to take it to your local auto mechanic in Madison, TN to diagnose the issue and make repairs right away. This will prevent the issue from worsening or causing other damage, which can result in more costly repairs.
- Chirps: No, that’s not a bird caught in your engine. Chirps are usually caused by worn brake pads. Brake pads contain a thin metal strand that acts as a warning signal to let you know they have worn out and need to be replaced.
- Combo noises: Do you hear a variety of squeaks and squeals coming from your vehicle? In the winter, these noises are often caused by ice accumulation. If your car has been parked outside, or you’ve driven through snowy conditions, look underneath the vehicle. If you see ice present, carefully chip it away. Be sure to remove any ice around your wheel and brake system. If this ice removal does not eliminate the noise, contact your auto mechanic in Madison, TN to determine the source and make repairs.
This winter, don’t worry about the noises under your hood. If you hear an unexplained squeak, squeal or chirp, simply bring your vehicle to the experts at Madison Muffler & Auto Repair. We will apply in-depth knowledge and extensive experience to determine the source of the noise and make the necessary repairs to keep your vehicle safe on the road. For unparalleled service, contact our auto mechanics in Madison, TN today. We look forward to giving you a smooth, quiet ride.