Driving in winter can prove treacherous if not approached appropriately. Residents of Tennessee see varying amounts of snow and ice that can leave roads extremely dangerous. However, with the right steps, you can make winter driving safe. Use the following tips to stay safe on winter roads, keep your car in top shape and avoid taking your vehicle to the auto repair shop in Madison, TN:
- Clear your windows: Don’t try to drive without fully clearing the windows. To clear the windshield, avoid using wipers. Using the wipers can destroy your blades and will prove ineffective in clearing the glass. Instead, keep a sturdy scraper in the car during winter months. Use this to clear the glass of snow and ice. Additionally, if you know it’s going to snow on your vehicle, put the wipers in the raised position to prevent them from freezing to the windshield and make cleaning a little easier.
- Stock washer fluid: Also in the windshield department, be sure to stock plenty of windshield washer fluid during winter months. Even a brief drive may require a significant amount of fluid to keep the glass clear for your trip. Keep an extra bottle of fluid on hand, as well as a funnel for pouring the liquid into the washer fluid tank.
- Consider winter tires: Do you have snow tires for your vehicle? If not, contact your auto repair shop in Madison, TN to review your options. Winter tires can provide better traction for cold weather and slick road conditions. They also spare your regular tires the wear and tear of winter use, so they will last longer.
- Keep the battery healthy: In cold weather, your battery does not perform as well. Keep an eye on this essential part of your vehicle to prevent stalled situations that leave you trapped in the cold. Have your battery checked by your local auto repair shop in Madison, TN to ensure it is cranking at appropriate levels.
- Check the oil: During cold weather, motor oil thickens. This can make it harder for your car to start properly. Use your vehicle’s owner’s manual to find the recommended oil for your car. Replace the oil regularly, as recommended by the manufacturer and your auto repair shop in Madison, TN. This will keep your car running more smoothly and reliably throughout the winter.
- Bring a kit: Keep a roadside emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. This kit should include items that will help you if you become stranded during cold weather. Items include an ice scraper, flashlight, portable shovel, basic first aid kit, cell phone charger, gloves, blanket and battery jumper cables. These items will help you stay warm while stranded as well as help you make repairs if needed.
Your local auto repair shop in Madison, TN is an excellent source for winter driving tips. Whether you need assistance with precautionary measures, minor maintenance or major repairs, our expert technicians are ready to assist you. Contact Madison Muffler & Auto Repair for a full range of assistance to keep you safe on the road this winter.