When summertime arrives, it’s also time to hit the road for a vacation. If you have a road trip scheduled for this summer, you will want to make sure your vehicle will make it through the long haul. Unexpected breakdowns can be a drag, but they can be avoided with a little preparation and a visit to your auto mechanic in Madison, TN before you take to the highway:
- Tires: Give your tires a good look over before you head out on your road trip. There may be tears or bulges that you should be concerned about that could cause a flat. Check your tires’ tread to ensure you will have proper traction, as well as the air pressure in each tire, which should conform to the specifications listed in your owner’s manual.
- Battery: Your battery should be fully charged to ensure you don’t experience a dead battery along the way. Clean all terminals of the battery with baking soda and water to avoid corrosion. If your battery is giving a low charge reading, an auto mechanic in Madison, TN can replace it.
- Brakes: Visit your auto mechanic in Madison, TN to have your brakes inspected before you leave. You will want to be able to stop at a moment’s notice during your trip, and worn brake pads can reduce your ability to stop at a safe distance. New pads will improve your vehicles ability to stop, making for a safer trip.
- GPS navigation system: Making sure you know where you are going at all times will take the stress out of driving. Be sure to pack your GPS navigation system to tell you about roadblocks or congestion. This will also help you during construction and detours. With a GPS navigation system, you’ll be able to find hotels, restaurants and gas stations along your trip with ease.
- Emergency kit: Being prepared for anything that can happen during your road trip can make accidents more easy to bear. Set up an emergency kit to pack with you during your vacation. Keep this in the car so you always know where it is. Fill it with essentials such as a flashlight, blanket and first aid kit. Some basic tools if your vehicle breaks down will be helpful, as well as some water and snacks in case you’re stranded for a while.
- Visit your auto mechanic: Before you leave for your vacation, visit your auto mechanic in Madison, TN. They will be able to inspect your vehicle for anything that isn’t working properly and could go wrong while you are on the road. This is a good opportunity to have the oil changed, have the fluid levels checked and have the windshield wipers replaced.
As you ready yourself to hit the open road for that vacation, plan ahead so you don’t have a breakdown that leaves you stranded on the side of the road. A trip to your auto mechanic in Madison, TN can help to prevent unnecessary breakdowns and make your trip as enjoyable as possible. For service on your vehicle, visit Madison Muffler & Auto Repair today!