Summer is here, which means it’s time for the annual family road trip! Whether your driving across the country or just a few hours away to the beach, it’s important to make sure your vehicle is ready for the journey.
Nothing can ruin a big adventure more than unanticipated car problems. While you can’t always avoid unexpected events like a flat tire, you can take a few preventative maintenance steps to reduce your chances of getting stuck on the side of the highway.
To kick off your big summer road trip, take the following preventative measures to keep you and your loved ones safe on both the highway and forest roads this summer:
- Check the tires: Your tires are inevitably going to sustain some wear and tear after hundreds of miles on the highway. But you can avoid losing valuable beach hours while changing a flat by taking the time to check the condition of each tire before you pull out of the driveway. Look for signs of uneven wear and check the air pressure in each tire. You may even want to consider replacing your tires entirely if the tread is significantly worn down.
- Top off your engine oil: Check your oil levels prior to packing up the cooler in your trunk. Most qualified mechanics in Madison, TN recommend changing your oil every three months or 3,000 miles. Engine oil keeps the separate components of your energy well lubricated and operating smoothly. Take your car in for an oil change if you expect it might be long overdue.
- Test the car battery: Nothing can ruin a fun day at the lake more than a dead car battery. Have your battery checked to make sure that the terminals are free of corrosion and the positive and negative leads are still tight. Clean off any corrosion, which is white and looks similar to chalk, with a wire cable brush. A qualified mechanic will also be able to test the battery to ensure that it can still hold a charge.
- Keep your vision clear: Don’t let a splattering of bugs on the windshield block your view of both the road signs and the highway. Replace any broken windshield wipers so you can easily clear your line of sight when the summer rain hits. Clean and replace your headlights as needed. These powerful tools are practically useless if they can’t illuminate the road ahead of you.
- Take a test drive: There’s no better way to figure out if future car troubles are looming than to take a test drive. Drive a few miles on your local freeway to listen for any noises, unusual vibrations or unexpected gauge fluctuations.
Checking your car for potential issues should be a top item on any to-do list before your upcoming summer vacation. The best way to ensure your car is ready for any trip is to have a qualified mechanic in Madison, TN perform a full safety check. The professionals at Madison Muffler & Auto Repair will take the time to ensure your car will keep the summer fun going for miles.