Spring offers relief from the cold, an end to snow storms and opportunities to hit the road! Spring and summer seasons are the prime time for road trips and afternoon drives. They generally involve more time on the road and more wear and tear on your car. To prepare for this increase in use, take your vehicle to an auto repair shop in Madison, TN for a quick tune-up. A few simple checks will ensure your warm driving months are smoother and help you avoid costly repairs down the road. As you transition to warmer weather, perform the following vehicle maintenance:
- Shake off the salt: Unless you hibernated all winter, you likely drove your car through some nasty ice and snow. It inevitably picked up salt from the roads. If left on your paint job or undercarriage, this salt can cause corrosion. To avoid rust issues, eliminate salt with a thorough car wash to start your season fresh and clean.
- Check your charge: Winter is rough on your battery. It must work harder to start your car in the cold weather. Check your battery, starter and alternator to ensure they have not been zapped of too much life. Dim interior lights and slow power windows are signs your battery is fading. Have this entire system checked to ensure you don’t get stranded at the in-laws’ during your summer visit.
- Secure your stoppage: You can overlook a few imperfections on your car, but brakes aren’t one of them. You can wait to replace your fuzzy dice on the mirror. Brakes must be well-maintained at all times. Spring is the perfect time to check your brakes. Winter’s slick conditions most likely put them to the test. Ensure they are still at the top of their game to keep your driving safe the rest of the year.
- Test your tires: Changes in weather can affect tire pressure. Check your vehicle’s manual to find the recommended pressure for your tires and ensure they are inflated properly. This will increase your safety and gas mileage. It’s also a good time to check the wear on your tread. Insert a quarter into the tire grooves. Can you still see all of George Washington’s head? If so, most of your tread is gone, and it is time for new tires.
- Stay cool: Cool spring evenings will quickly lead to hot summer afternoons. You most likely haven’t used your air conditioning for several months. Test this system to make sure you are ready for those 90-degree days. If it doesn’t reach full blast or fails to cool your car quickly, have a mechanic check your system right away before any problems worsen.
- Tighten your belts: While you may be able to drop a few pounds of winter weight and cinch in those slacks, your car may experience different belt issues. Belts and hoses are often overlooked for spring maintenance. This can be a costly mistake, as broken belts or hoses can cause anything from overheating to power steering loss. Be sure to check these parts to avoid summer breakdowns.
Before you hit the road this spring, wash away the winter with a quick tune-up to cover all of these seasonal issues. The technicians at Madison Muffler & Auto Repair are ready to prep your car for a smooth driving season. Contact our trusted auto repair shop in Madison, TN today.