Despite the usually mild winters we tend to see in Tennessee, it’s still tremendously important for auto owners to prep their vehicles for the end-of-the-year conditions ahead. Failing to properly help your vehicle transition into the harsher months of the year via regular maintenance and annual tune-ups can spell out problems down the line—especially if the impending winter brings with it colder than average temperatures or a freak snowstorm here and there!
When it comes to winter auto prep, the quickest and easiest way to make sure your vehicle is ready to tackle winter road conditions is to bring it to your local automotive repair shop in Madison, TN and ask for “winterization” services. Generally, this will include the following:
- An electrical inspection of your vehicle to ensure that the battery, alternator and all other electrical components are in good working order. In the event something is wrong, a battery test and/or replacement can be undertaken to make sure your vehicle is up to the task of starting all winter long.
- A tire inspection, alignment and—if necessary—a tire rotation. Ice and snow are the most detrimental factors in winter road conditions and your first line of defense is a good set of tires that’s properly outfitted to handle less than stellar road conditions.
- An oil change is pretty standard for winterization, but depending on the age of your vehicle, you might be looking at a more encompassing oil change service. Fluid flushes are common before winter, as are filter changes and more that will help your engine function seamlessly throughout the harsher month of the year.
- Belts, hoses and connections will all be observed and tested to make sure they’re up to the task of functioning, even in extreme cold. When the temperatures drop down into double digits or below, you’ll want peace of mind that nothing is going to come loose or fail!
- Minor repairs are going to be a core focus of winterization and should be invested in before the season changes… unless of course you want to spend time at an automotive repair shop in Madison, TN this winter! Small problems are made worse by inclement weather and poor road conditions, and if your vehicle is already experiencing issues, expect them to get worse.
Now, the above are just the basics of winterization—depending on the history and age of your vehicle, the winterization procedure may be more or less invasive. Some drivers also opt for things like brake replacements, new wiper blades and other amenities that have a tendency to be heavily relied upon by drivers during the winter season.
Don’t leave the roadworthiness of your vehicle up to chance when winter finally blows in: make sure you’re prepared and ready to meet the season head-on, with a vehicle that’s in good standing! Make an appointment with your local automotive repair shop in Madison, TN and have a professional give your vehicle with pre-winter treatment.