Pulling into your local auto body shop for even something as simple as routine maintenance can be a daunting prospect, mostly because we’re not really sure of what to expect when the hood is popped. Generally, it’s as simple as waiting 15-20 minutes for someone to change your oil and flush your fluids, but every once in a while you might find yourself faced with a costlier problem or procedure—like a tire rotation or a brake placement.
In situations where your routine checkup isn’t so routine, you might find yourself with some questions—unfortunately, most people feel too far out of their element to ask those questions, leading them to just pay and leave without ever getting a better understanding of what exactly they’re paying for!
Remember that it’s more than okay to ask questions when speaking with your mechanic in Madison, TN—in fact, it’s encouraged! Take a look at five questions that can yield a tremendous amount of information about your vehicle, any service costs or what you might expect from future visits:
- What caused the problem? Knowing the cause of a problem in your vehicle is the first step to avoiding that issue and others like it in the future. If your calipers are twisted because you went too long without changing your brake pads, for example, this is something you can be mindful about in the future! Having a mechanic in Madison, TN break down the issue means understanding it in a technical manner, rather than just on paper.
- What services am I due for? Knowing what your vehicle is due to have inspected or serviced can put you on the right track to taking better care of your vehicle overall. Avoiding costly breakdowns and malfunctions by adhering to routine maintenance will save you money and a variety of headaches down the road, in both the short and long term.
- What’s the breakdown of X cost? Most mechanics in Madison, TN will give you a full breakdown of your service bill, but on the off chance that they don’t, you can and should ask for one. Knowing what your cost for parts versus labor is, how much time it took to fix your vehicle and what all went into the final cost is essential in understanding the cost of owning your vehicle.
- How does X work? One of the biggest mysteries of our vehicles is how specific components work and having this information can give us lots of insight into how we can better care for these investments. In understanding how your vehicle’s heat works, for example, you might be able to better assess issues as they develop, leading to proper resolutions earlier in the timeline of the problem.
- What do you recommend? Asking for your mechanic’s opinion is a great idea for a number of reasons and will put you on better ground in terms of dealing with your vehicle’s unique needs. Your mechanic knows your car better than anyone else (aside from you) and can point out things that would be good for it—trust them when they say something is a good idea!
Don’t fret the next time you take your vehicle in for routine maintenance and something isn’t cooperating! Instead, ask your mechanic some of the above questions or others that come to mind and have confidence in yourself as a vehicle owner!