At the first sight of an automotive issue—no matter how small—most people will immediately seek out an automotive repair shop in Madison, TN in order to have it resolved. And while this is a responsible and proactive thing most of the time, there are a few cases where it might actually be overkill! The truth is, there are some minor auto repairs that can be done at home to a high degree of success, saving you money and time.
Even someone who considers themselves a complete automotive novice can take solace in the fact that simple auto repairs are simple for a reason: the likelihood that you’re cause irreparable damage or make things worse is next to zero. Take a look at six repairs that you can do in your own driveway that don’t need the sort of expertise you’ll find at an automotive repair shop in Madison, TN:
- Windshield wipers: Windshield wipers don’t last forever and, despite the fact that they don’t take a lot of wear and tear, they’ll need to be replaced when they’re no longer able to effectively clear precipitation and grime from your field of vision. Head on down to a local auto parts store or even a general retailer, pick up appropriate length blades and feel confident in installing them yourself—most models clip or snap right on!
- Fuses: If you hop into your vehicle one day and the radio doesn’t work or your interior lights don’t light up, it could be a problem with a fuse. If you open your fuse panel and see a blown fuse, it’s easy enough to replace: just remove the old fuse and take it to an auto parts store to find a replacement. Once you have the new one in hand, it’s as simple as popping it into the slot to get the electricity flowing again.
- Headlights: Driving around with a headlight out is dangerous—luckily enough, they’re a quick fix if they burn out. Simply buy a bulb that matches your make and model and follow the instructions on the packaging or in your owner’s manual. It should take you about 30 minutes to full replace the bulb and not much technical skill is involved!
- Mirror: Did someone accidently swipe your mirror off in a parking lot? Did your teenager take it off backing out of the garage? If so, putting it back on or replacing it with a new one is easy! Simply buy or order a replacement based on your make and model, follow the instructions provided with the replacement and enjoy your new fully functioning mirror!
- Tires: You can do just about anything with your tires provided you have a jack, jack stands and the right tools for the job! Whether it’s putting air in to inflate to optimal PSI or rotating your tires, jobs like these can be done at home provided you take a few moments to learn some simple techniques, such as how to properly secure the lug nuts in place and what lubrication is required during the replacement process.
- Oil change: More maintenance than a repair, an oil change is something everyone can and should learn how to perform themselves! Getting familiar with your vehicle and taking the time to get your hands dirty changing its oil will help you to keep your vehicle running at peak capacity at all times.
The next time you suspect you might need to make an appointment at an automotive repair shop in Madison, TN, consider the six above tasks first and think, “could I do this myself?”